A parallel coordinate plot is used to compare data values which are of completely different types or magnitudes within a single visualization. The values are normalized and then presented as points on a line with one point per data column. The visualization is useful also for examining patterns.
About this task
The values can represent aggregated data or non-aggregated data for the particular data point. An aggregated value could be, for example, a sum, an average or the first value in a data column.
Important axes are the Line by axis and the Color by axis in the legend. These axes are used to select the columns whose values you want to represent as lines.
Also categorical column values are possible to visualize. Note the gender column furthest to the right where male and female customers are split into different values on the percentage scale.
- On the authoring bar, click Visualization types to open the flyout.
Parallel coordinate plot visualization type to
the wanted position on the analysis page.
A suggestion of a parallel coordinate plot is presented.
Select the data columns you wish to include in the visualization.
Click the horizontal axis.
The Select columns... button appears.
Click it to open the
Select columns dialog.
An example of the dialog is shown below.
- In the dialog, specify the columns of interest, and in which order they should appear by using the buttons in the middle.
- Click the horizontal axis.
Select which aggregation to apply for each of the columns to
- Select the column in the Selected columns list.
- In the Aggregation drop-down list, select the wanted aggregation type.
- Click Close.
- On the Line or Color axis, select the columns whose values you want to represent as lines.
By creating the parallel coordinate plot below with one line per hotel, it is possible to compare the hotels and find a hotel that suits you. Here the Color axis is used to split the data per hotel.
Perhaps Waterfront is a good choice, since you get a large room for a fair rate, and it is located not too far away from neither the beach nor the city. In addition breakfast is included in the price, and the ranking is OK.